Fellowship in the ACLP is bestowed upon Academy members who manifest active participation in the Academy and have made exemplary contributions to the field of consultation-liaison psychiatry as educators, researchers, or administrators.
- Be a Full Member of the Academy for at least six (6) consecutive years following the completion of training.
- Have completed a fellowship training program more than six (6) years prior to election to Fellowship and/or received certification in Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry or have completed a dual residency (i.e., internal medicine and psychiatry, family medicine and psychiatry, or pediatrics and psychiatry), or another country’s equivalent, when available.
Exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The committee will decide whether or not an applicant, who is ineligible for ABPN certification in Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry by virtue of belonging to a non-psychiatric medical specialty, will be considered for fellowship status.
- Have attended at least three ACLP Annual Meetings in the last five years prior to application.
- Has been or is currently an active contributor to the Academy in three of the past five years through one or more of the following volunteer activities:
• Membership on an Academy committee, subcommittee, or taskforce
• Service as chair, co-chair, or vice chair of an Academy special interest group
• Presented at an Academy annual meeting as (a) a moderator, speaker, or discussant for a pre-conference course or general session; or (b) a lead presenting author for a poster or oral paper session
- Be sponsored by two Academy Fellows who must submit a letter of recommendation on your behalf to the ACLP Fellowship & Awards Subcommittee. Letters of reference should address the candidate’s contribution to the Academy and/or field of psychosomatic medicine in two or more of the following areas:
• Clinical administration service in C-L psychiatry
• Education in C-L psychiatry
• Scholarship in C-L psychiatry, exemplified by publications
• Promotion of C-L psychiatry outside of participation in the Academy (with examples)
- Be approved by both the Fellowship & Awards Subcommittee and the Academy’s Council.
- Attend an Annual Meeting Convocation in order to be installed to Fellowship.
How to Apply for Fellowship in the Academy
- Applications for Fellowship are only accepted via the online Fellowship Application Form. You are required to upload your current CV during the application process.
- You may supply select supporting materials to accompany your letter. These can take the form of copies of title pages or table of contents for journal articles, title pages for books, and letters of appointment for society and administrative offices, text of published posters, or other similar published materials. Applicants with extensive publication histories need only provide 4 or 5 significant examples. Send your supporting materials either to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by fax to 301-656-0989 by the submission deadline.
- Notify your two references to submit recommendations, which are only accepted via the online Fellowship Recommendation Form.
All FACLP applications and recommendations are due by July 2.
Pledge of Fellowship
On behalf of the Fellowship Class of [year], I, _________, do hereby pledge to the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry, this [date], that we shall:
- Continue to foster Academy objectives for advancing scientific knowledge concerning mind, body, and environment;
- Promote interrelationships through research, education, and practice; and
- Encourage cooperation with other fellow scientists in related disciplines.