On this page and other pages of the ACLP website are links to relevant publications, presentations, and other websites.
Special Assistance: We welcome requests from underserved areas where there are no psychiatrists or other mental health professionals and where HIV clinicians need help in providing psychological support to persons with HIV or AIDS and their families. Please send your request to Chair, Mary Ann Cohen, MD, FAPM <firstname.lastname@example.org>and describe the situation about which you would like assistance.
Shared Slide Presentations
Several members of our organization have agreed to make their PowerPoint presentations available on a variety of subjects for members and non-members who are new to the field of AIDS psychiatry and would like to develop presentations for the education of clinicians in academic or other settings. The following presentations are available as PDFs:
- A Biopsychosocial Approach to AIDS: The 27th Year
Presented May 8, 2008 by Mary Ann Cohen, MD at the APA Annual Meeting
- AIDS Psychiatric Disability Criteria: A Biopsychosocial Approach
Presented September 10, 2008 by Mary Ann Cohen, MD to Social Security Administration
- A Biopsychosocial Approach to Pain in Persons with AIDS: Dilemmas in Palliative Care
Presented November 3, 2010 by Mary Ann Cohen, MD to McMaster University
- Trauma, PTSD, and HIV: Psychodynamic and Educational Approaches to Adherence in a Community Medical Setting
Part 1 (slides 1-67) Part 2 (slides 68-131)
Symposium presented May 7, 2012, in collaboration with the AAPDP, at the APA Annual Meeting by members Batista, Cohen, Meyer, Tiamson-Kassab. More information and abstract.
- Psychodynamics of Trauma, PTSD, and Non-Adherence to Medical Care in Persons with HIV and AIDS
Presented May 7, 2012 by Mary Ann Cohen, MD at the APA Annual Meeting
- Update in HIV and AIDS Psychiatry
Presented May 8, 2012 by Mary Ann Cohen, MD at the APA Annual Meeting
- HIV through the Life Cycle: Aging of HIV Population
Presented May 8, 2012 by Adriana Carvalhal, MD at the APA Annual Meeting
- Psychiatric Disorders
Presented May 8, 2012 by Jordi Blanch, MD at the APA Annual Meeting
If you wish the PowerPoint version of the slides from the presentations above to adapt for your own use, please contact Dr. Mary Ann Cohen at email@example.com.
Guidelines and Related Websites
New York State HIV Mental Health Guidelines
The New York State Department of Health AIDS Institute, in collaboration with Johns Hopkins University, has been developing guidelines for HIV medical and mental health care for many years. These guidelines have been updated, and we have been asked to make them available to our members. The guidelines are available online at www.hivguidelines.org — use the drop-down menu under “Clinical Guidelines”. The guidelines include those relevant to AIDS psychiatry.
American Psychiatric Association HIV Website
The American Psychiatric Association’s HIV website at www.psych.org/aids provides information and links to APA-sponsored education programs, training curricula, clinical resources, policy information, and patient education materials for psychiatrists and other medical and mental health professionals.
HIV/AIDS National Strategic Plan Information Resource for South Africa (NSPiSA)
A database of research projects and publications is being developed by the HIV/AIDS National Strategic Plan Information Resource for South Africa (NSPiSA). The aim of the NSPiSA database is to allow policy makers, stakeholders, and other researchers to stay abreast of current and ongoing research and thus facilitate dialogue between the research community and the South African National Aids Council (SANAC) and its constituent committees and task teams. Read the NSPiSA story here.
Recent Publications by AIDS Psychiatry SIG Members
Members of the AIDS Psychiatry SIG have published thousands of articles, chapters, and books prior to joining our group. Since joining, many have published hundreds more, including several textbooks of AIDS psychiatry, all of which should be available through the publisher, Amazon, and/or Barnes and Noble, as well as university libraries:
- Cohen MA, Cozza KL, Bourgeois JA, Moghimi Y, Douaihy A: The role of psychiatrists in HIV prevention. Psychiatric Times 2016 March; 30-33. This article was selected as the Editor’s Pick of that edition of Psychiatric Times.
- Tavakkoli M, Cohen MA, Alfonso CA, Batista SM, Tiamson-Kassab ML, Meyer P: Caring for persons with early childhood trauma, PTSD, and HIV: A curriculum for clinicians. Acad Psychiatry 2014; 38(6):696-700.
- The Mind Exchange Working Group: Assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of HIV-associated neurocognitive disorder: a consensus report of the mind exchange program. Clin Infect Dis 2013; 56(7):1004-17.
- Cohen, MA. HIV: How to provide compassionate care. Curr Psychiatry 2013; June 12(6):19-23.
- Prince JD, Walkup J, Akincigil A, Amin S, Crystal S: Serious mental illness and risk of new HIV/AIDS diagnoses: an analysis of Medicaid beneficiaries in eight states. Psychiatr Serv 2012; 63(10):1032-8.
- Blackstone K, Moore DJ, Franklin DR, Clifford DB, Collier AC, Marra CM, et al: Defining neurocognitive impairment in HIV: deficit scores versus clinical ratings. Clin Neuropsychol 2012; 26(6):894-908.
- Badiee J, Riggs PK, Rooney AS, Vaida F, Grant I, Atkinson JH, et al: Approaches to identifying appropriate medication adherence assessments for HIV infected individuals with comorbid bipolar disorder. AIDS Patient Care STDS 2012; 26(7):388-394.
- Cohen MA, Forstein M: A biopsychosocial approach to HIV/AIDS education for psychiatry residents. Acad Psychiatry 2012; 36(6):479-86.
- Freudenreich O, Basgoz N, Fernandez-Robles C, Larvie M, Misdraji J: Case 5-2012— A 39-Year-Old Man with a Recent Diagnosis of HIV Infection and Acute Psychosis. N Engl J Med 2012; 366(7):648-657.
- Samuels E, Khalife S, Alfonso CA, Alvarez R, Cohen MA: Early childhood trauma, posttraumatic stress disorder, and non-adherence in persons with AIDS: a psychodynamic perspective. J Am Acad Psychoanal Dyn Psychiatry 2011; 39(4):633-650. [SIG member Erin Samuels was a psychiatry resident at NYU when she and her co-authors published this article.]
- Freudenreich O, Goforth HW, Cozza KL, Mimiaga MJ, Safren SA, Bachmann G, Cohen MA: Psychiatric treatment of persons with HIV/AIDS: an HIV-psychiatry consensus survey of current practices. Psychosomatics 2010; 51(6):480-488.The special section, Results of the 2008 HIV Psychiatry Treatment Consensus Survey, is the precursor to publication of this article. The article was a result of the first collaborative research effort by our SIG.
- Comprehensive Textbook of AIDS Psychiatry – A Paradigm for Psychosomatic Medicine, 2nd Edition
Edited by Mary Ann Cohen, Jack Gorman, Paul Volberding, Jeffrey Jacobson, and Scott Letendre
Oxford University Press, New York, April 2017
This new edition of the original 2008 textbook has over 100 contributors, more than half of whom are members of the HIV/AIDS Psychiatry SIG.
- HIV and Psychiatry
Edited by John Joska, Dan Stein, and Igor Grant
WPA Series in Evidence & Experience in Psychiatry
Wiley-Blackwell, April 2014
SIG members are represented in the editors and contributors to this new textbook, which promises to be an important addition to the current textbooks in our field.
- Handbook of AIDS Psychiatry
Mary Ann Cohen, Harold Goforth, Joseph Lux, Sharon Batista, Sami Khalife, Kelly Cozza and Jocelyn Soffer
Oxford University Press, New York, 2010
All the authors are members of both the ACLP and the AIDS Psychiatry SIG. On February 16, 2011, SIG member Michael Blumenfield, MD posted his review of the book and his online interview of the lead author on www.PsychiatryTalk.com.The Handbook of AIDS Psychiatry is the companion to the Comprehensive Textbook of AIDS Psychiatry published in 2008 (next item).
- Comprehensive Textbook of AIDS Psychiatry
Edited by Mary Ann Cohen and Jack M. Gorman
Oxford University Press, New York, 2008
The editors are members of the SIG, and Cohen and 30 contributors are members of both the SIG and the ACLP. This book was favorably reviewed by Reuters (2008), three stars by Doody’s Book Review Service (February 2008), New England Journal of Medicine (March 27, 2008), Journal of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry (June 2008), Journal of the American Medical Association (August 6, 2008), and the American Journal of Psychiatry (November 2008).
- Psychiatric Aspects of HIV/AIDS
Edited by Francisco Fernandez and Pedro Ruiz
Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2006
The editors and many contributors are members of the SIG.
Previous HIV/AIDS Psychiatry SIG Presentations
November 13, 2015 — ACLP Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana
A Case-Based Life Cycle Approach to Education about Palliative Care, Advance Directives and End-Of-Life Issues in HIV Psychiatry (an HIV/AIDS Psychiatry, Bioethics, and Pediatrics PM SIG-sponsored symposium)
November 15, 2014 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Update on HIV-Associated Neurocognitive Disorder: Prevention, Screening, and Current Controversies
November 13, 2014 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Depression in Patients with HIV: Current Research and Clinical Approaches to Screening, Management, and Treatment
September 16, 2014 — XVI World Congress of Psychiatry, Madrid, Spain
HIV Psychiatry as Paradigm for Psychosomatic Medicine: Preventing Transmission, Caring with Compassion, and Improving
November 16, 2013 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Tucson, Arizona
International Approaches to HIV Psychiatric Care in the Ambulatory Setting
November 15, 2013 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Tucson, Arizona
Collusions of Silence and Bioethical Dilemmas Unique to HIV Psychiatry (a collaborative Bioethics SIG and HIV/AIDS Psychiatry SIG symposium)
November 14, 2013 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Tucson, Arizona
HIV Through the Life Cycle (symposium co-sponsored by the HIV/AIDS Psychiatry SIG and the Child Psychiatry SIG)
November 15, 2012 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia
Screening, Assessment, and Treatment of Depression and HIV-Associated Neurocognitive Disorders (HAND): A Discussion of the Evidence (co-sponsored by the HIV/AIDS SIG)
June 14, 2012 — Yale University School of Medicine
Neurocognitive Impairment in HIV Infection: A Practical Approach
May 7, 2012 — APA Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Trauma, PTSD, and HIV: Psychodynamic and Educational Approaches to Adherence in a Community Medical Setting (APA/AAPDP Collaborative Symposium)
May 8, 2012 — APA Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Update in HIV and AIDS Psychiatry
November 16, 2011 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona
AIDS Psychiatry Update for the C-L Psychiatrist
November 18, 2011 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Phoenix, Arizona
Innovative Approaches to Clinical Care, Research, and Prevention in AIDS Psychiatry
November 12, 2010 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Marco Island, Florida
Educating Clinicians about HIV-Associated Dementia
November 13, 2009 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada
Quality of Care in AIDS Psychiatry
November 20, 2008 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Miami, Florida
AIDS Psychiatry Across the Life Cycle
May 8, 2008 — APA Annual Meeting, Washington, DC
AIDS Psychiatry in 2008
May 3, 2008 — American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry Annual Meeting, Washington, DC
A Biopsychosocial Approach to AIDS Psychiatry: An Update
November 17, 2007 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Amelia Island, Florida
AIDS Psychiatry: Past, Present, and Future
November 18, 2005 — ACLP Annual Meeting, Santa Ana Pueblo, New Mexico
AIDS: Survival and Adherence — A Paradigm for Psychosomatic Medicine